Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Broiled Steelhead in Teriyaki Sauce

I'd been really looking for a good recipe for homemade teriyaki sauce for quite a while. I used to get some sauce now and then from Nagoya in New Jersey but I end up there very infrequently these days. I've tried many different bottled sauces but never really grew attached to any of the different brands available. And then I found a great recipe over at Soy and Pepper, read all of the praising comments, saw a similar recipe over at Closet Cooking and figured I had to give it a go!

I ended up adding a couple other ingredients (some ground ginger and a dash of garlic powder) but it turned out very similar.

I got some really great looking Steelhead Trout from Whole Foods and threw it in with the marinade right away. Left it in the fridge for about an hour (Wanted it that night, didn't want to wait any longer!)

Broiled Steelhead in Teriyaki Sauce

Ingredients
2 Salmon/Steelhead fillets (about a pound)
3 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin or sweet sherry
2 tbsp sake or dry white wine/sherry
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
dash of garlic powder
sesame seeds to garnish

Method
1. Mix everything but the sesame seeds and salmon together.
2. Marinate the Salmon in the sauce for at least an hour (overnight is ok)
3. Bake the fish for about 10 minutes at 350F. You may have to bake the fish a little longer depending on how thick it is.
4. After baking, turn on the broiler for about 4-5 minutes to sear and to continue cooking.


Here's a processed image of the same shot

No comments: