Gotta start by giving credit to Rasa Malaysia, one of my favorite blogs (excellent recipes and superb photography. Much better than this guy) for this delicious recipe! It was one of those moments where I looked at a few pictures, drooled all over my desk and then decided I had to make it. I did add an onion and a pepper to the dish for some more veggies in the diet though.
Beef stir fried with just about anything is a good way to make me happy for sure. Any meat really, but beef more than most because it seems to absorb a marinade so well. Combine that with a tasty gravy and a couple scoops of rice and you've got an absolutely fantastic meal in a matter of minutes!
Mongolian BeefServes 4-6 with rice
- 1 pound beef
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 stalks leeks (sliced diagonally)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion, medium (chopped)
- 1 small bell pepper of your choice (chopped)
- 1 stalk shredded scallions (white part, for garnish)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ShaoHsing rice wine
- 3 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Kecap Manis (dark sweet soy sauce)
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- salt & sugar to taste
1. Marinate beef for 30 minutes
2. Heat wok with 1 tbsp oil, stir-fry beef until half done, remove and set aside
3. Add 1 tbsp oil and sauté garlic and ginger. Add beef back in then sauce. Stir-fry until beef is almost done, add leeks into wok, add salt and sugar to taste, garnish with shredded scallions. Serve.