Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Soup Dumplings and more at Gourmet Dumpling House

Last Sunday, on a little spur of the moment decision making, a bunch of us headed over to Gourmet Dumpling House in Chinatown. I'd never been there before, but I was assured that the food was great. And it didn't disappoint!

Gourmet Dumpling House is a pretty small restaurant, probably about 12-15 tables at the most, with only one or two tables that could sit a party of six. We ended up right by the kitchen so the sweet smell of tasty wafted through quite often. The restaurant classifies itself as a blend of Northern and Southern Chinese cuisine which I guess is apparent from the menu (though I think most of the dishes are Cantonese-inspired).

But what we were really here for were the soup dumplings, shown below. These gems are almost like your ordinary dumpling, except when steamed and prepared right, are full of tasty broth! One usually eats with both a spoon and chopsticks as to not lose all of the tastiness but alas, my skills were insufficient and I ruptured at least two, spilling out all the juiciness :(

We also got some rice cake noodles stir fried with vegetables and seafood. I never knew rice cake noodles were available at restaurants in Boston, never really could find a place that served them! I'd only had them in New York City at Joe's Shanghai and I was quite pleased to finally be introduced to a place in Boston that served them. We also got some scallion pancakes and fried oysters. The scallion pancakes were a little doughier than I'm used to (not necessarily a bad thing) and the oysters were great, especially with the seasoning mix that was provided on the side.

Rice Cake Noodle with seafood:

Scallion Pancakes:

Pork and Crab Soup Dumplings:

Pork Soup Dumplings:


Note: I was so excited about the rice cakes that I completely forgot to take pictures...so I had to use a little artistic freedom to get a "shot" of the whole dish ;)

No comments: