Monday, March 31, 2008

Thai Noodles - Noob style!

I originally got into Thai food like most other people...through Pad Thai at various locales around the area. And like other inquisitive eaters before me, I had to try making this awesome new dish.

Turns out it's not as easy as it looks. Getting the ingredients isn't necessarily the hard part...but I've never managed to get the sauce to taste right. I've given up since and searched for some of the easier dishes to make, leading me to today's post. I found multiple recipes for Pad See Ew over the past few months and compiled them all together for a "distinct" version I guess.

I'm a huge fan of fresh rice noodles...in fact, it's probably one of my favorite noodles to supplement a dish with. And also, living near Super 88 is a huge plus, where they have fresh rice noodles daily! I always buy the precut ones since I'm lazy but you can also get the wedges and cut them yourself (If you like different shapes anyway)

Pad See Ew

Main Ingredients
1 lb fresh rice noodles (sliced into bite sized pieces)
1 lb beef (I like to use sirloin tips or flank)
2 large bunches of broccoli florets (more if you like broccoli :P)
2 eggs

Marinade
3-5 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp rice wine (I use Shaoshing)
1 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 spring onion (I've used 2-3 scallions as well)
3-4 thai chillies (chopped, with seeds)

Extra Sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp ketjap manis

Method
1. Slice the meat, mix in marinade. Let marinate for about 20-30 minutes (overnight is ok but unneeded)
2. Slice up the broccoli florets into bite sized (or smaller) pieces. This way the pieces of broccoli will soak up the sauce faster.
3. Heat wok to medium-high, and stir fry the marinated beef until slightly browned.
4. Add broccoli, stir fry for about a minute to get the broccoli mixed well.
5. Add noodles and the sauce. Mix well.
6. Make a little well in the middle of the wok, crack the two eggs in and stir fry until egg is fully cooked through and mix well with the rest of the dish.

Enjoy!

No comments: